30 January 2009

I Love this Diet

Ah, the joys of NHE. Disclaimer: Diets seem to be a very personal thing. This diet works for me. You'll have to try it for yourself to see if it works for you.

With the return from Japan this January I went back to my long-time diet, NHE. The diet is truly a find. Apart for a six month hiatus when the girls were born and occasionally weekly jaunts, I've been following this diet strictly since 1999. Now that I'm back on it, I can see why it stuck so long. I feel fantastic.

Energy levels are up. The extra fat gained after the girls were born is melting off and I've not yet started my exercise routine again. Just now I was unloading groceries from the morning's shopping and my belly felt a little uncomfortable. It took a moment to realize that I was hungry. Blood sugar swings are virtually eliminated, leading to a level head and better mood most of the time without those hunger pangs really taking hold.

Tomorrow night is carb night. Last week's Cointreau-citrus pork chops with pasta really worked well so I'm now trying it again but adding some fresh squeezed lime juice and a dash of sugar. Then I'm thinking of trying a chou pastry to make cream puffs (which is why I went shopping this morning - we're out of heavy cream.) I'll have to get my mother's recipe. She made really tasty cream puffs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom's Cream Puffs--makes about 10
1/2 c. margarine 1 c. flour
1 c. water 4 unbeaten eggs

1. Melt marg in water in pan.
add all the flour. Stir until mix no longer sticks to the pan.
2. Cool (2 mins. stirring occasionally)
3. add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg is added. (dough shiny)
4. Place one heaping tablespoon of mix on well greased baking sheet 2"
apart. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 min. Then at 325 for 20 mins. Remove and cool.
5. cutoff top third of puff, and fill. Replace top, drizzle with glaze.
P.S. for num. 1, you can add 1 teaspoon of sugar in the water with marg.
Almond Cream Filling
1 pkg. 33/4 oz. vanilla instant pudding (prepare as directed, but use 11/4c. milk. fold in 1 c. whip cream and 1 t. almond flavored extract. Fill cream puff.
Chocolate Glaze
melt 1/2 c. choc. chips, 1T. marg, 11/2t. milk, and 11/2t. light corn syrup until smooth. May use microwave, check and stir occasionally.

Unknown said...

I didn't get to the cream puffs. The girls were too demanding and there just wasn't the time to cook. Maybe on Tuesday, the next carb load, when they should be in day care during the day.