09 January 2009

Bake-n-Bake: J-Homecooking

After New Year's with Hirono's parents I really grew to appreciate their cooking. The breakfasts are fantastic. Her mother's winter vegetable stew is also great. Her father makes a variety of dishes that have a lot of promise to make into something really good. I've got some extra energy in the coming weeks so I'm going to try to reproduce Hirono's parents' cooking; but, alter wherever I wish to fit my own taste.

Tonight was the first attempt at Okasan's winter vegetable stew. It was eaten generously on the first night and then as a small dish with every meal until gone. I didn't think it out clearly enough ahead of time (blame the jet lag) and so didn't soak any dry shiitake instead of fresh, which would have given the broth much more depth. This is definitely a dish to do only if you have ample time to clean the vegetables.

Fresh shiitake. I should have used dried.

This dish is low enough in carbs for NHE.

If I had a dog, he would go crazy with joy tonight.

Soak dry shiitake overnight (or at least four-six hours). Clean well afterwards, reserving the soaking water.
Put to stew some pork bones and salt. I like to add some rice wine as well.
After 30 minutes or so put in the cleaned shiitake. You can pour in the soaking water too; but, be sure to strain it carefully.
Pare, clean and cut two-three long gobo and a bunch of thick carrots. If you want to make the higher-carb version you can also add satoimo or even normal potatoes.
After the pork is done put in the tubers. Gobo takes longer to cook than most tubers, so put them in a little early.
When the pork is at the desired tenderness, pull them out and let cool.
Put in sliced konnyaku about 15 minutes before serving.
Serve piping hot when the veggies are done.

Konnyaku is a strange beast. All soluble fiber and water.

These soup bones remind me of why I like NHE. That's good eating for any carnivore.

Mmm. Mmm. Good.

No comments: