01 February 2009
Bake-n-Bake: Wintry Chicken
Don't let the ingredients fool you. I tried this tonight and was really surprised at how well it worked.
* Marinade chicken thighs (with skin) in dark rum and salt. Use enough rum to cover the chicken more than half way.
* Fry thighs over high heat in heavy saucepan, skin down. If you use something other than thighs with skin then you'll need to add oil first. Turn the chicken when the skin is very crisp. Turn heat to medium-high. Keep frying in its own fat until done (about 20-25 min.)
* Remove the chicken and place on paper towels to drain the fat. Reserve the fat from the pan for later.
* Sear a handful of thickly sliced mushrooms. Place on plates as a bed.
* Add the marinade and an equal amount of heavy cream to the now-empty saucepan. If there isn't enough oil in the pan add a teaspoon or so from the reserved fat.
* Grate in some nutmeg and cinnamon stick. About 2:1 nutmeg to cinnamon. I used 2 pinches of nutmeg and 1 pinch of cinnamon.
* Reduce over high heat.
* Place a piece of chicken, skin side up, on the bed of mushrooms. Drizzle sauce.
Serve with a garden salad and, for those who eat carbs, baked potato.